POSITION: Casual Editorial Assistant – Applications close February 26, 2021
The Planthunter and Wonderground are on the hunt for an enthusiastic, organised and curious editorial assistant. This is a great opportunity to join the tiny, passionate and highly creative team behind both The Planthunter online magazine and Wonderground print journal. In this role you will be supporting the editor, Georgina Reid, in a range of tasks – from uploading content to communicating with contributors, interviewing, researching, writing and more.
Location: Mostly remote, but it’d be great to have someone who is available to work/meet occasionally in Sydney, in person.
Engagement: This is a casual position, ranging between 5-10 hours per week. Timing is flexible, as are hours. As long as the required work happens by agreed deadline, all is good. This position is unlikely to grow into a full-time job in the short-term. It’s important that applicants understand this, and are comfortable knowing that it will most likely always be this way.
Remuneration: We’ll discuss money with the successful applicant. Know, though, that publishing dollars are never as numerous as any of us would like.
- Uploading content to WordPress
- Managing content calendars
- Writing and researching online content as required
- Communicating with contributors, interview subjects and readers as required
- General administrative tasks
- Assisting with social media
- Helping out with opportunities as they arise – We are a tiny team (ie. one and a half women and two dogs) and do everything, and you will too.
Skills and Experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Qualifications in writing/communications/editing (desired but not essential)
- An eye/nose for a great story
- Experience in using WordPress (desired but not essential)
- An understanding and passion for digital and print publishing
- Seriously good organizational skills – you’re methodical, accurate and neat
- A love of nature and a commitment to changing the world, one word, one plant, at a time
- Reliability, honesty, kindness (most important)
The Right Person
The Planthunter is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We would like to encourage applicants from all backgrounds and study paths to apply for this role. What matters most is you’re a damn fine human, you have meticulous attention to detail, are self-motivated and super organised.
How to Apply
If you’re keen on joining The Planthunter please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us a little more about yourself. Including:
- Why you want to work at The Planthunter
- Your previous work/life experience relevant to the position
- Your social media profile info (Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest etc)
- One sample of your writing. Published or unpublished
- Anything else you think may be relevant
Applications close on Friday 26 February 2021